Sunday, April 30, 2017

Monday, April 24 to Sunday, April 30, 2017

Monday, April 24, 2017

We started at the office meeting but then went to the hospital to get our missionary released. 

We went to the Lees for dinner. The Helbergs came with us. We always have a nice time at their home.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

We became grandparents again today. Our dove gave birth to a chick. 

We got up at 4:30am and left at 6am, headed for Chinandega and the 3-zone conference. Sister Bell taught about how to take care of feet. Sister Bell talked to several missionaries about health problems and I passed out a few smoke alarms, a fan, spray bottles and Permetherin. The missionaries are practicing teaching investigators.

We then drove to Esteli, where the zone conference will be tomorrow. We got a room at the Hex. 

Wednesday, April 27, 2017

We had a long day. We are very glad we decided to stay in Esteli instead of getting up early and driving to Esteli. The multizone conference in Esteli went well. Sister Bell taught the missionaries about how to take care of their feet. We have about 8 missionaries that have ingrown toe nails. Several have had to go to the doctor to get them fixed. A few have followed Sister Bell’s instructions and have gotten the toenail out from under the skin.

We left about 4pm. When were almost home, we got a call from a sister missionary from the Dominican Republic. She was having several headaches. So we turned around and went back to Tipitapa (about 15 km from Managua). We took her and her companion to the hospital. They checked her out, gave her some medicine and sent her home. We took her back to Tipitapa and got home about 1am.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

We had the 3-zone conference with the zones in Managua; Bello Horizante, Villa Flor and Las Americas. Since it was at the Waspan Chapel, where the office is, we didn’t sit in for most of it. Sister Bell taught how to take care of your feet and I taught how to carry a backpack. 

There was something very special about this zone conference, at least at the end. Sister Vasquez, bore her testimony. She will be leaving the mission in about a month. She is one of our heroes. She has overcome great obstacles before and during the mission. She has had health issues that has impacted her but she has worked through them and is finishing strong. Here Sister Vasquez (middle)  is with Sister Bell and Hermanita Barrios, another of our wonderful sister missionaries.

There are other missionaries that have had to overcome physical and emotional obstacles, but have been persistent and are completing their missions. We are so impressed with them. 

There are many missionaries that have great capacity, are strong and are dedicated missionaries and leaders. They are very productive missionaries and will be wonderful leaders in the Church. We love them dearly, but our heroes are those missionaries that are still working hard, amidst trials.

Sister Gunn and Hanson sang a duet at the end of the meeting. They have wonderful voices and blended beautifully together. The spirit was strong as they were singing.
Sister Jimenez, from Guatemala also bore her testimony at the invitation of President Poncio. She has really grown from a timid little girl from Guatemala to an outgoing, hardworking missionary. We love seeing the growth in our missionaries. 

When we got home, we found that David and his friend, had completed our benches. These benches were made from an old bunkbed set. They are made of wood and have “Mision Nicaragua” carved in them. They turned out beautiful.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Happy Anniversary. Today, we have been in Nicaragua for a year….

On our walk this morning, we saw a pair of Guardabarranco birds, which is the National Bird of Nicaragua. Officially they are the Turquoise-browed motmot bird. They nest in the ground.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Today was a missionary day. Sister Bell gave Maria Clara a 1 hour piano lesson in Trinidad. She had not had a lesson for several weeks so they took their time today.

We spent the afternoon with Elder Howland and Elder Russell in Condega. We had some wonderful visits. First we went by Edgars house. He wasn’t home but his daughter was so we gave her a lesson about faith. We testified that she can receive revelation and read Moroni 10:3-5. Edgar came home so we visited with him a little and then left. We went to an investigators house. The mother was home with her 3 children. Unfortunately, her husband had left shortly before we arrived. We showed a video about the importance of the family and then read the family proclamation. She was in accord with the principles taught in the family proclamation. We then visited with Freddy and taught him about Patriarchal Blessings. We are putting together a list of members ready to receive Patriarchal Blessings. 

We took the Elders out for dinner and then went to Noe’s home for the Noche de Hermanimiento. It started almost an hour late, but we ended up with about 14 people attending. Elder Russell taught a lesson about Patriarchal Blessings. Then we played a game.
I have not seen Elder Russell as happy as he was today. He is really maturing as a missionary and his language is really improving. He is always smiling which is something we have not seen much. We are really happy for him. Elder Howland is a great missionary.  They seem to work well together. 

Sunday, April 30, 2017

We had a great missionary day. We started by teaching a temple preparation class to the familia Alaniz. President Alaniz is preparing to go to the temple in June. But we are teaching the lessons to his whole family (wife and daughter). Sister Alaniz can’t read so we gave her a CD set of the book of Mormon and a DVD player. She has been listening daily. 

President Herrera, the 1st Counselor in the District Presidency came with the District YW President and District Primary President. We had a wonderful Sacrament meeting (sister Bell played the piano and I said the closing prayer). I helped a couple of investigators follow the hymns in the hymnbook. Elder Alofipo conducted. There was a smooth transition to SS/Primary and another smooth transition to Priesthood/RS/Primary. The district officers helped our new primary president and YW president, which was greatly needed and appreciated. There was a sweet spirit at Church today and we left feeling spiritually uplifted.

A new investigator came today. She had a wonderful experience in SLC, that introduced her to the gospel and to President Monson personally. She was the representative from Nicaragua to a worldwide child abuse conference. She helps abused children. While attending this conference, she had the opportunity to come to temple square and meet with Sister Linda Burton, the General RS President. When she came into the building she was met by the RS presidency and President Monson. He gave all of them hugs. She didn’t know at the time who he was but she felt his love. It changed her life. The Somoto missionaries were called by missionaries at temple square, who gave them her contact information. It took a little time to find her, but they finally did. She is still glowing from that experience in SL and is listening intently to the missionary discussions. She has tremendous capacity to be a wonderful leader in the Church and a wonderful support to abused children in the community. She also brought a 14-year-old girl with her, who came from an abusive home. This girl is living with her. She loved Church too, especially young women’s.

When we began going north, a year ago, there was a tree that was in bloom. It is the Royal Poinciana or Flamboyant tree. It is in bloom again.

No comments:

Post a Comment